How to Know When It’s NOT Your Fault

18 Aug

When I was five years old, I was standing outside the swimming pool when my mother asked me to watch my one year old brother while she went inside to get my new born sister who was crying. I watched my brother faithfully. I watched him flip over on his little paddle board. I watched his feet kicking in the air. I watched him just like she told me to until she ran back out the back door and thrust my baby sister into my arms and flipped him right side up. Like a good baby, he was holding his breathe. My Mom was naturally upset, but then she accused me of trying to drown my brother. For the most of my life, she has referred to this as “the time you tried to drown your brother.”

My dad came home and gave me a pep talk on how since I am the oldest, I need to watch out for the younger ones. This led to a lifetime of me serving my family long after my siblings were adults. By birth order, I felt responsible to make other people happy.

After studying child development in college, I discovered something about this incident. Children under the age of eight process words literally because they can’t think in abstract. I was a normal child who had no intentions of harming anyone. To be labeled as someone who tried to harm a sibling was unfair, but my mom probably didn’t realize this at the time. Plus I was standing outside the pool. I had no training for lifesaving. We had just put up the pool for my sister’s birthday and she took to it like a fish, while I was afraid of the water.

My mother gave me an impossible task and I was asked to play a game I could never win. What was even more unfair was the responsibility put on me by my father to serve my family at such an early age. This included cleaning house and childcare at that age, but later turned into giving them my babysitting money and later providing for my relatives and paying their bills while I often neglected my own. I was taught to put everyone else first because that is what Jesus required of me. Like Carol Cannon says in her book, Never Good Enough, “I learned to give myself away before I even had a self.” While the Circle of Giving requires us to give, such giving can only come from the heart.

My Own Person, cherilynclough.com,http://www.redbubble.com/people/littlered7/works/15253730-my-own-person-sunflower?asc=u&c=540742-survive-to-thrive

Prints and Pillows Available Here

Fast forward a few years and this concept of being responsible for others was extended when I was high school aged and wanted to go to school. My mom said not to mention my depression about not going to school because it might cause my dad to have a heart attack. She was asking me to choose between having a high school education and supposedly killing my father. There are names for this kind of gaslighting. My mother in law calls it a mind-F_, but to be nice for the internets, I will call it a mind-warp. It’s the same thing.

If you grew up with a narcissistic parent, chances are you have been given impossible mind-warps. Perhaps you felt responsible for the rest of your family.  Maybe you’ve even been told you will be responsible if you go no contact because someone was abusive to you. I have a friend who was accused of giving his mother cancer because he didn’t allow her to continue verbally and emotionally abusing him. These accusations are not only cruel and unfair, they are just plain wrong.

I had a friend who was suicidal a few years ago and I spent hours–no weeks listening to this person talk for hours on end. I tried to do everything they taught me as a volunteer at helpline. I did my best and yet this person lied about me and later told others I made it all up. That’s the day I walked away from the role of hero I accepted when I was five. Today, relationships have to pass three criteria if someone wants to stay in my life—respect, honesty and taking responsibility for their own choices.

1. Respect

Many narcissistic people have very little respect for others. They would like to use your time and money and anything you are willing to give them to meet their needs. This is called narcissistic supply or narcissistic feed. It could be money or it could be ego stokes. In either way, the narc wants to use you. When you realize someone merely wants to use you, it’s time to move on, because there is no relationship without respect—anything less is simply a transaction. I say let them get a job and go to their own bank.

1. Honesty

Very similar to respect, there is nothing to base a relationship on without honesty. Otherwise people are just pretending to be someone they are not. This is what happens when someone falls in love with a narc. Or even the fantasy of a trauma bond that some people cling to when their parents are proven incapable of loving them unconditionally. Even if you could believe their lies and ignore reality, you still wouldn’t have a real relationship. Don’t let people lie to you.

If someone uses you and then they lie about how they used you, it’s time to realize you are not their kind of people. You’re not the one making the choices here, the person who uses you and lies to you and about you is responsible for their behavior and lying and pretending to be someone they are not has consequences. Which brings us to number three—taking responsibility for self.

1. Each Person is Responsible for Their Choices and Behavior

We are always responsible for self before we can be responsible to others. And there is a big difference between being responsible for others and being responsible TO others. When you have a job, you are responsible to do whatever you have agreed to do, but you are not responsible for how the other person reacts to what you do.

When you fly, you are told to put on your own oxygen mask before you help others. This is not selfish, but the only way to help others. To say putting on the mask will kill someone else who refuses to put on their own mask is unfair. They might never say that on a plane, but people use similar distortions in real life all based on the false idea we are responsible to please others while they abuse us and lie about us. I don’t buy it.

When people blame us because this person might die or will never be the same because we asserted our right to live drama free without manipulation, those blaming us are simply shifting the responsibility around. This is often the heart of dysfunction and codependency–refusing to be responsible for self and while blaming others for our choices. Yes, there was a time when I bought things for people instead of paying for my own bills, but it was my choice and when we know better, we do better. I can own that responsibility and I own the responsibility today to allow only true relationships in my life.

There are still warped people who will blame you for the choices others make because you supposedly failed to cover (lie) for them. It’s not you, it’s the narc. There will always be ignorant people who accuse you of not honoring your parents because you stood up for truth and respect. You won’t be able to help the blind, but remember this for yourself–honesty is always, always married to honor. You can’t have honor without honesty and you can’t honor someone who lies to you and about you.

Most of these mind-warps would be hilarious if they weren’t true and just in a movie. But sadly, mind-warps are the symptom of broken relationships with self. Before the narc had a broken relationship with you, they had a broken relationship with their own self. They refused to be honest with self and failed to give themselves respect and in turn, stopped being responsible for their own choices and looked for a scapegoat to continue their fantasy.

I’ve rarely met someone who is estranged from their parents or child who doesn’t still love them. It’s true there is a difference between narc shunning and no contact, but most people who go no contact only did it as a last resort because continuing to have contact was too much for their own health and sanity.

When people break any relationship by acting in dishonorable and disrespectful ways, you can still love them and pray for them from a distance even when they won’t say sorry, but you are not responsible for their choices and you are not obligated by scripture to meet their needs or hang out with them. Allow me to repeat, you are not responsible for the choices of others. God created us to live in freedom and it is not right to allow others to take it from us.

So How are We Responsible to God and Others?

God has asked us to do justly, love mercy and walk humbly with God (Micah 6:8), but how does this play out with those who are abusive to us? To do justly means once again to be honest and fair. This means we don’t pretend hitting children is okay. We don’t lie to protect the family secrets. We do justly because God does justly and God never changes or denies who He is to soothe the minds of warped human beings.

To love mercy, means we will be open to letters of apology and treat even those who have harmed us in a kind manner. Our God is a God of second chances and when someone sincerely asks us for a second chance, we can offer hope to them. But—(and when dealing with narcs there is a big but)–the person who has been abusive in the past will need to show sincerity and ask with honesty or it’s not real.

To walk humbly with God reminds us of the proverb, “There, but for the grace of God, go I.” We are not better than others. We do not esteem even our abusers as less human or less made in the image of God than ourselves. We have simply learned there can be no relationship without these three—respect, honesty and responsibility. For those sincerely willing to try living an authentic life with these three criteria, we can always open the door, because with God, all things are possible.

16 Responses to “How to Know When It’s NOT Your Fault”

1. Cathy August 18, 2016 at 8:06 pm #

I completely relate. We really do need to get together sometime and compare notes on the healing process — because that’s where we’re headed, right?

2. Bonnie B August 19, 2016 at 4:03 am #

Years ago, I summed it up this way – When looking for friends, go whole HOG (honest, open, generous) – dump the CADs(condemning, accusing, demanding). Me? Be humble, wise and patient. Now I have two cheerleaders as my friends, one male, one female. Letting go of the others was slow, sometimes excruciating, including blocking and/or unfriending kin you know where. Not lonely, not overburdened, turn phone on to check it, but intentionally not available any more for anyone’s drama of the day. Cheers! And thanks for the bravery – you are helping complete my healing as OVER-RESPONSIBILITY drove me my whole life….just getting true, lasting peace (and joy) now.

3. CynthiaBaileyRug August 19, 2016 at 5:45 am #

Great article! Thank you so much for sharing! And, I’m so very sorry for what you’ve experienced. It truly wasn’t fair.

4. Cherilyn Clough August 19, 2016 at 10:34 am #

Yes! It would be great to get together! Healing comes when we share our stories and realize God was there all along and never left us! I am finding peace in writing my memoir!

5. Cherilyn Clough August 19, 2016 at 10:37 am #

Hi Bonnie,

Great acronyms! Love it! I believe friends who are not true friends–and this includes family do not deserve access to our lives. The lie that keeps so many people hoping and allowing others to destroy their lives is the false hope that a family member who is talking about them and judging is their friend, when in fact two faced people are not our friends.

I am glad you have found a couple true friends and I wish you continued peace and healing!

Cherilyn

6. Cherilyn Clough August 19, 2016 at 10:41 am #

Hi Cynthia,

Thank you for the condolences! I don;t believe what happened to me is worse than what has happened to many people, but we do heal when we share our stories and I get many people who have lived through similar circumstances and thank me for speaking about it out loud.

Thank you for the empathy!

Peace and freedom to you!

Cherilyn

7. April August 26, 2016 at 2:28 pm #

This is a fantastic post! The last paragraph os amazing. Being the victim of a narcissist and deciding what to do as a Christian is VERY challenging. If you avoid that person, people with no understanding of the situation will accuse you of being unforgiving. But I believe you hit the nail on the head: there can be no relationship without respect, honesty, and responsibility.

8. Cherilyn Clough August 26, 2016 at 3:55 pm #

Hi April,

Thank you. This is truly the heart of the problem. I wish I had realized this twenty years ago. Now I can look back and see how I was manipulated and shamed to do what others wanted. Jesus absolutely wants us to forgive if not for others, for ourselves, but forgiveness and reconciliation are two different things. The idea we are to keep forgiving and living in community with someone who is abusing us or has abused us and has not admitted it or shown us respect is not biblical. Jesus told the disciples to walk away and kick the dust from their feet when they were not respected.

I pray you are healing and finding good community to bless others and be blessed!

Cherilyn

9. pedantico August 31, 2016 at 1:28 pm #

This is such a great article, and describes the dynamic of what I lived for so many decades throughout my childhood. I was the youngest of four and the scapegoat, however I was held accountable for everything that went wrong and ended up being the “fixer” and the “overachiever.” Getting a degree in Psychology helped me to unravel so much of it and explain the dynamics, gain some perspective and then overcome it, but the family that I’m permanently bound to and have to peripherally interact with and who haven’t changed makes it imperative that people like you and associations like this are vital lifelines and support that keep me sane. Thank you.

10. Cherilyn Clough August 31, 2016 at 1:47 pm #

Thank you Pedantico!
    I am sorry to hear you were the scapegoat. It seems from all the people who write to me that there is not birth order for being a scapegoat. It seems to be whoever doesn’t meet the needs of the dysfunctional family at the time.

I appreciate the encouragement from professionals like you! Comments like this help me know I am not alone and keep me sane too!
    🙂

Peace and freedom to you!

Cherilyn

11. AN September 4, 2016 at 12:25 pm #

Wow, this is such a great article! I can’t believe what happened with your suicidal friend. That is awful (as are many of the other things you described)!

I had an experience where I realized I was being exploited financially. I started to spot inconsistencies in the stories of the person to whom I had been giving and lending money and it made me SO uncomfortable. I eventually just had to walk away at a huge loss. One thing I’ve learned over the years is that there’s no point in continuing to communicate with a liar because they will just continue to lie.

12. Cherilyn Clough September 4, 2016 at 6:19 pm #

Hi AN,

I think you said it well–there’s no point in continuing to communicate with a liar. It reminds me of a meme that says, “I’m sorry, I’m having a hard time believing you due to your track record of being a lying liar who constantly lies out of your lying liar hole.”

Thank you for sharing!

Peace and freedom to you!

Cherilyn

13. AN September 4, 2016 at 10:31 pm #

Ahaha, I saw that meme recently for the first time. It’s so apt! Willful, continual lying is one of the worst behaviors out there. It really creeps me out!

Thanks so much for your wonderful website!

14. Cherilyn Clough September 6, 2016 at 8:30 pm #

Thanks for sharing AN! And thanks for the encouragement!

Much love,

Cherilyn

15. Liv February 27, 2017 at 6:38 pm #

I can relate to you on so many levels. I am the oldest of three girls and at age 39 I’m just now starting to realize that I have the power to not be responsible for other people. It sounds weird but I actually did not know that. I grew up thinking this is just what I was created for. I am so glad you are winning at getting yourSELF back. Good luck on your journey.

16. Cherilyn Clough February 28, 2017 at 8:24 pm #

Hi Liv,

Yes, as the first born, we often had a lot handed to us that the others escaped. I’m glad you can relate and I am grateful for your healing too!

Peace and freedom,