Don’t Be Afraid

2 Dec

One of the worst forms of religious abuse is manipulation that scares people to be afraid of God. Fear has caused generations of people to be afraid of Jesus coming. Yet the message of Christmas is “Don’t be afraid.” This is what the angel told Mary and and what the angel told Joseph and later this is what the angel said to the shepherds when the angels came to sing.

It seems heaven’s mantra is, “Don’t be afraid.”

I believe Jesus came as a baby so we won’t be afraid of God.

Think about it.

Are you afraid of a God who gives up all of his power and lives in a womb for nine months?

Are you afraid of a God who was born in a cave with the animals?

Are you afraid of a God who comes as a helpless baby relying on us humans to diaper and feed him?

Are you afraid of this baby God who had to be hidden so a wicked king couldn’t kill him?

Are you afraid of a God who came–not to condemn but to love the world back to trust in God?

Are you afraid of a God who worked for most of his life in a carpenter shop?

Are you afraid of a God who owned no home or bed to lay his head?

Peace Angel, cherilynclough.com, http://www.redbubble.com/people/littlered7/works/24136406-peace-angel

Prints and Accessories Available Here

Are you afraid of a God who made time for little children?

Are you afraid of a God who gently touches the blind eyes and makes them see?

Are you afraid of a God who makes lame limbs walk again?

Are you afraid of a God who feeds thousands with five loaves and two fish?

Are you afraid of a God who wrote in the dust to set a woman free?

Are you afraid of a God who forgave Mary seven times?

Are you afraid of the God who taught us to forgive seventy times seven?

Are you afraid of a God who walks on water and shows Peter how to do it too?

Are you afraid of a God who washes the dirty feet of his friends?

Are you afraid of a God who allows himself to be captured and beaten?

Are you afraid of a God who allows people to nail him to a piece of wood and kill him?

Are you afraid of a God who dies for you and rises again so you can live for eternity?

Are you afraid of Jesus coming back to remake the earth so you can live in peace forever?

They were looking intently into the sky as He was going,
when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them.
“Men of Galilee, they said,
“Why do you stand here looking into the sky?
This SAME Jesus,
who has been taken from you into heaven,
will come back in the same way
you have seen Him go into heaven.”
-Acts 1:11

Listen to the angels.

Don’t. Be. Afraid.

8 Responses to “Don’t Be Afraid”

1. marti oconnell December 2, 2016 at 1:36 pm #

thanks for that Cherilyn…and have a wonderful Christmas!

2. Angela Royse Pelleman December 2, 2016 at 2:36 pm #

Cherilyn!
    This is sooo beautiful! What a beautiful lovely post to publish at Christmas Time! You could create a children’s book with these precious words! I am always telling my daughter that she does not have to be afraid, because she has Jesus in her heart, and God is watching over her. I am going to read her your sweet blog tonight, and tell her to close her eyes. After I read it to her, I’m going to ask her what she saw with her eyes closed. I will let you know what she says! I can totally imagine these words in a children’s book with YOUR amazing art work illustrated throughout! Can you envision it? 😊
    God bless you, my sweet sister in Christ!
    Do. Not. Be. Afraid! God loves YOU! ❤️

3. Cherilyn Clough December 2, 2016 at 7:29 pm #

Thank you! Peace and freedom to you Marti! 🙂

4. Cherilyn Clough December 2, 2016 at 7:31 pm #

Thank you, Angela!
    Isn’t it the most beautiful news that we don’t need to be afraid of Jesus?
    Peace and freedom to you and your house! ❤

Cherilyn

5. Andrea December 9, 2016 at 1:42 am #

Very nice! 🙂 Have a lovely Christmas, and thanks for writing in a way that benefits others! Peace and love etc.

6. Cherilyn Clough December 14, 2016 at 8:33 pm #

Thank you! Peace and freedom to you Andrea!

7. Vennie Kocsis December 19, 2016 at 11:42 pm #

I am not afraid of god because I don’t believe in its existence. If I succumbed to fear, though, I would be more fearful of humans who don’t feel complete within themselves without a god. That is frightening on a mass scale to me; humans being unable to embrace their own individual power.

8. Cherilyn Clough December 20, 2016 at 4:51 am #

Hi Vennie,

We do have more to fear from humans than God for sure and I believe people who have distorted views of God are the most dangerous of all–because they often believe God calls them to harm or hurt others

Many people are afraid to take responsibility for their own behavior and it’s often a cop out to say they are waiting on God to fix things or show them what to do, so in that sense I agree with you. I believe in a God who gives all of us freedom to choose and expects us to be responsible for the power we have, while at the same time, not taking away the power of other people.

Thank you for sharing!

Peace and freedom to you!

Cherilyn